Victoria hotel becomes BC’s only carbon-neutral property
Victoria, BC, Canada—Inn at Laurel Point announced a partnership today that makes it the only BC hotel to offer carbon neutral facilities to its guests.
Offsetters, Canada’s leading carbon management provider, and Inn at Laurel Point have entered an agreement that offsets the hotel’s greenhouse gas emissions.
“We are proud to be the only carbon neutral hotel in British Columbia, and one of a handful in Canada,” says the Inn’s general manager Ian Powell. “In addition to our Four Green Key Eco- Rating, we are demonstrating our commitment and core beliefs.”
After months of research, Inn at Laurel Point selected Offsetters, which has a proven track record of developing carbon offset projects using the highest quality standards and focusing on permanent reductions from energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. Offsetters is also the Official Supplier of Carbon Offsets for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.
“The Inn at Laurel Point has been committed to environmental sustainability for many years,” says Dr. James Tansey, CEO and Co-Founder, Offsetters. “This next step demonstrates their leadership in serving travelers who choose to take responsibility for their carbon footprint.”
With this initiative, Inn at Laurel Point and Offsetters have addressed the resort’s current estimated carbon footprint based on a full greenhouse gas audit. Offsetters will have validated those numbers by March and are creating a reductions strategy.
“Victoria, BC is becoming increasingly known as a destination for the eco-conscious traveler,” says Powell. “Buying offsets for transportation is becoming common, and BC’s hotels are sure to follow suit. We want to provide leadership to other hotels.”
Carbon offsetting is the latest plank in the hotel’s environmental, economic and social responsibility platform. Other features include:
- All levels of staff participate in an annual harbourfront cleanup
- Paperless check-in and eco-friendly room keys (recycled paper stock and vegetable dye inks)
- Ocean Wise, organic menu in AURA Restaurant + Waterfront Patio
- Organic herb and vegetable gardens for use in AURA
- Waste reduction, including composting, compacting garbage and baling cardboard
- Sustainable marketing materials on recycled, FSC stock
- Secure bike racks for staff and guests
- Supporting patients undergoing treatment at the BC Cancer Treatment Centre.The Inn at Laurel Point is an independent, Pacific Rim-inspired waterfront hotel located downtown on Victoria’s Inner Harbour. www.laurelpoint.com <http://www.laurelpoint.com>As Canada’s first and leading carbon management provider, Offsetters helps individuals and companies understand, reduce, track and offset their climate impact – in that order. Headquartered in Vancouver, BC, Offsetters is the first ever Official Supplier of Carbon Offsets to an Olympic Games and will be providing the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) with carbon credits sourced from clean technologies developed in BC. In 2009, Offsetters was also selected by the Pacific Carbon Trust as the largest initial supplier of carbon offsets to the BC Crown Corporation. For more information go www.offsetters.ca <http://www.offsetters.ca>
- For more information or to request an interview, contact:
Inn at Laurel Point
Avril Matthews Director of Sales and Marketing 250.414.6731 firstname.lastname@example.org
Deirdre Campbell Tartan Communications 250-592-3838 email@example.com